Monday, September 18, 2006

Selenium in the vegan diet.


I’ve been writing about vegan nutrition for the past week because I think that for optimal health, any diet, plant-based or not, should be well- planned and balanced. A well-planned vegan diet can be the healthiest diet in the world, but "Twinkie and potato chip vegans" will not be healthy. An unhealthy vegan is not a good poster child for veganism.

Today I’m going to say a bit about selenium, and tomorrow I will sum it all up.

I found the following information at:
www.veganoutreach.org/health/stayinghealthy.html#othernutrients


"Selenium intake is more related to the selenium content of the soil than to dietary pattern. U.S. and Canadian soil appears to be adequate in selenium. Studies of vegetarians and vegans in the U.S. have shown them to have adequate intakes.

Selenium is found in many foods, but in higher amounts in Brazil nuts, whole grains (whole-wheat bread, oatmeal, barley), white rice, and
beans ".


Michael Greger,M.D., in his handout, Recommendations for Optimum Plant-Based Nutrition, www.Veganmd.com, says that "Northern European vegetarians may need to take [selenium] supplements or eat about 20 Brazil nuts a day."

What’s Cooking?


Fried Green Tomatoes at the Vegan Café
(or at Vegan Grandmother’s house)

I picked green tomatoes from my garden this morning, and made fried green tomatoes for lunch-a favorite of mine. I remember when I was a child I couldn’t wait until the first green tomato appeared in my father’s garden. He reluctantly allowed me to pick it, although he was eager for the first red ones. My mother would coat the green tomato with an egg-based batter and fry it. It was wonderful. Of course today I make a vegan version, but I think its good, also.


Vegan Fried Green Tomatoes


4 ½ teaspoons powdered egg replacer such as Ener-G Egg Replacer (available at natural food stores)

About 4 tablespoons warm water

½ cup whole wheat pastry flour (cornmeal works well, too)

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon baking powder (this is optional, but I think it makes a crispier fried green tomato.)
Canola oil for frying.

1 or 2 firm green tomatoes (I like them when they just start to turn yellow-orange. The tomatoes that have just started to turn red have a slightly sour taste. The really green ones are more bitter).

Cut the tomatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices.

Mix the egg replacer with enough warm water to achieve a consistency like that of heavy cream, about 4 tablespoons of water.

In a second bowl, thoroughly mix the salt, pepper, and baking soda.

Dip the tomatoes into the egg replacer mixture to coat both sides, then into the flour mixture to coat both sides.

Fry the tomatoes on medium heat until both sides are golden brown. Dry off the excess oil with a paper towel.

Serve hot.
******************************************************************************
"Even though our supposed possession of a soul and superior intelligence are used to create an arbitrary dividing live over rights, the fact remains that all animals have the capacity to experience pain and suffering, and in suffering, they are our equals."-Nathaniel Altman, Ahimsa, Theosophical Publishing House, 1980

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?